Saturday, May 17, 2008

All-star race day and chamber of commerce weather

I did this the other night at the Pit Crew Challenge, dropping a few paragraphs in here and there about what was happening.

What I wrote seemed to tick off a few people, including some of the people working for Speed. So that alone is enough reason for me to try it again.

It's 10:45 am and I am at home, on the desktop my wife and I both use some there, I just sent a bunch of stuff from the laptop over here so I could print it out and have with me at the track.

Jim Utter covered the Truck race for the paper and thatsracin.com last night, so I left about halfway through it. I was about halfway home when Kyle Busch wrecked and the race actually got going. I was sitting in my driveway as they lined up for the green-white-checkered and barely got inside in time to see the finish.

You have to be happy for Matt Crafton, who did a great job surviving all of that to win. It was a good race for the Truck Series, too. There was a whole lot of action late in the race and anybody who stayed around through Busch's early dominance was rewarded.

I've been thinking about what that means. It's clear the Toyota truck teams have their acts together, but I don't think you can say that Busch was doing what he did last night only because his truck is unfairly strong or anything like that. Once he fell out, there were eight to 10 trucks in the mix, of all makes, that looked pretty equal. Busch had by far the best truck until he fell out, but I don't think you can say it was all truck and no driver, at least not fairly.

I doesn't seem the weather is going to be any kind of a problem today. It's a chamber of commerce day right now, sunny and pleasant and it's supposed to stay that way.

All right, time to pack it up and head that way. Zaxby's for lunch because they have crushed ice!

1 comments:

Monkeesfan said...

While you can't say it was all truck and no driver, given that once Kyle Busch fell out there was an actual race should say something about the Toyotas in general and his in particular.

Kyle Busch is controlling whatever series he races in to a degree I haven't seen since 1990m, a degree where there is almost no race left on the schedule where one can honestly think someone else will beat him; if someone does it's going to be a surprise. Ernie Irvan, Rusty Wallace, and Geoff Bodine wrested a level of control over the competition like Busch's in 1994, but only in lengthy spurts. What surprises me is that Busch hasn't won more Winston Cup races this year; I was shocked he didn't blow past Bowyer at Richmond after his set-to with Junior.

And given how thoroughly Toyota now domionates the Trucks and how little sustained resistence they get from the other makes, Winston Cup may be in for a competitive imbalance that few will or should appreciate.